[csw-maintainers] "pkgconfig --exist ..." is telling porkies

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Jul 9 23:35:25 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 09, 2009 at 11:27:35PM +0200, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Am 07.07.2009 um 22:22 schrieb Philip Brown:
>> I dont know much about pkg-config, but might there be some kind of,
>> "and hey add /opt/csw/X11/lib to PKG_CONFIG_PATH now" magic, you can
>> put in
>> /opt/csw/lib/pkgconfig/cairo.pc  or something?
>
> AFAIK this option is not available.

Then in my opinion, since libcairo requires libxcb now, then
I think my suggestion here, would be best:

>> or... maybe the issue is that /opt/csw/lib/pkgconfig/cairo.pc
>> should not exist there in the first place, but be moved
>> to /opt/csw/lib/X11/lib/pkgconfig/   instead?

>[Dago writes in reply to that...]
> It is just for development. Using pkg-config this way allows specific
> binding to either the OpenCSW X11 libs or Sun X11 libs with gtk+ on
> compilation.

I do not think that is a good (ie: stable) idea at all.
If people want to use "sun libs", then they should probably use sun cairo!
on the other hand, seeing as how our libcairo now REQUIRES the newer x11
libs... libs that we were "forced" to ship ourselves... it doesnt make
sense to break smooth opencsw development, for the fuzzy benefit of
lalowing pepole to compile brokenly against sun libs as well.