[csw-maintainers] Subversion on bender

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Jul 24 21:59:15 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Jul 24 15:46:30 -0400 2009:

> > such that database connection info is stored only in a single
> > place, thus facilitating the possibility of storing this code in a
> > non-local (read: not live) repository in the future[2] with the db
> > details excluded for security purposes.
>
> the trouble with that, is that it affects performance.

No it doesn't.  The live copy on the web would simply be a current
checkout.

The pattern would become:

1. Develop, develop, develop.
2. Commit (which if svn[1] were used, is also a push to central).
3. <optional>Review of changes</optional>
4. Login to bender, proceed to web directory, update local copy.

This could all be done on the live copy to, but with a repo living
outside the code tree, easier testing is facilitated without affecting
the live stuff.

-Ben

[1] I have a personal distaste for svn but it's likely the logical
    choice given that all other project-wide type stuff lives in svn
    already.

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.