[csw-maintainers] Updated libiconv in testing, testing appreciated

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Sun Jul 26 14:28:23 CEST 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 01:40:39AM +0200, Sebastian Kayser wrote:
>> Ok, updated packages in testing. iconv (CSWiconv) has now be changed to
>> be an empty package (besides README.CSW and license) that pulls in
>> libiconv and libiconv_devel as dependencies. libiconv (CSWlibiconv) is
>> the package that one would want and the naming is consistent.
>>
>> Is that along the lines of what you had in mind?
>
> Um.... no :-}
>
> when there are only two like this, with pre=exisiting dependancies, I
> think
> it makes more sense to split into CSWiconv and a separate devel package
> which depends on that one.
> no empty package.

Before i commence take #3, let me try to understand:

Upstream name is libiconv, right now we have it as CSWiconv (pkgname) and
libiconv (swname). Would be nice to have CSWlibiconv and libiconv instead
to match the upstream name (see my previous attempt), but this introduces
the transitory, empty package CSWiconv for backwards compatibility and
implies long-term pkg dependency updating. Thus it is less hassle to just
leave the package name as CSWiconv and change its software name to iconv
(implies that libiconv as software name is dropped from the catalog)?

Sebastian