[csw-maintainers] Subversion on bender

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sun Jul 26 18:31:22 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 24, 2009 at 09:24:04PM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Jul 24 17:55:50 -0400 2009:
> > sorry, misunderstanding. I thougth you meant "the PASSWORDS for database
> > access, would be in a separate, non-checked-in file".
>
> That's exactly what I meant.  I'll be creating a file called
> includes/dbconfig.php.  This file will contain the host, database,
> user and password info used for the connection to mysql.  All files
> accessing the database will then include this file.  It's extra
> overhead, yes, but completely negligible.

hrmmm...
well, in extreme cases(high loads), i've seen use of php includes,
dramatically slow down pages. so it's not always negligible.

> This new file won't be checked into the vcs and would need to be
> created manually by anyone hacking on this stuff outside of the live
> web tree.

there's also the concern of someone inevitably doing the equivalent of
"checkin *", and having the file "accidentally" get into the version
control system.

> On a different note, I'd like to propose a group called cswweb (or
> similar) on bender with membership reflecting all those who've
> expressed interest in modifying web content.  The htdocs (and maybe
> cgi-bin?) files for the opencsw vhosts should then be made chgrp
> cswweb, chmod g+w.  As it stands now, I'm not able to actually make
> any of these changes.

and in some ways, lack of thats a good thing ;-) that one person cant just
decide to drastically overhaul everything on a whim.
(well, ok, people with root-type access 'could' do that. but we just
 dont do that sort of thing)

long term, i think having a web unixgroup makes sense.
How about you start with one page for now though. the "packages" page was
what you expressed interest in, if I recall?