[csw-maintainers] setxkbmap investigation

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Jul 29 01:16:22 CEST 2009

I've recently built a setxkbmap binary. There's something I can't
quite work out, perhaps somebody will be able to help me out.

Information about the package is here:
http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/users/2009-July/004052.html
The Makefile:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/gar/browser/csw/mgar/pkg/setxkbmap/trunk/Makefile

I have a reference binary in /var/tmp, which reads the keymap from a
known location: /usr/X11/lib/X11/xkb/symbols. For instance, when I run
'setxkbmap pl', the file /usr/X11/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pl gets read.
When I run my setxkbmap, they 'pl' keymap must get loaded from
someplace else, because it's not my (patched) keymap. But I can't
figure out, where it is being read from.

I don't see much choice there:

$ glocate -r 'X11.*/pl$'
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/sgi/pl
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/sun/pl
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pl
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/sun/pl
/usr/X11/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/sgi/pl
/usr/X11/lib/X11/xkb/keymap/sun/pl
/usr/X11/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pc/pl
/usr/X11/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/pl
/usr/X11/lib/X11/xkb/symbols/sun/pl

I trussed the setxkbmap process (with -f to trace also the child
processes), but it doesn't open any of the above files. Do you have a
good idea where it can read from or how to track that down?