[csw-maintainers] Buildbot

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jul 31 20:41:08 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 02:07:01PM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:

> 1. It must be able to retrieve it's own source tarball/repo/whatever,
>    so the 'fetch' target should be honoured.
> 2. It must be able to apply patches supplied locally, so 'patch' is a
>    must.

I think applying the patch should be part of "get source", and there should
not be a mandated separate one.

> 3. I'd then say both 'build' and 'package' should be individually
>    callable steps....

> 4. A 'clean' target is always a good thing to support.

> 5. A set of variables should be honoured by any Makefile such that a
>    build system knows where to find outputs.

I think this is making it too complicated.
It needs to be *simple*,for most widespread use.

*standard* makefile vars, such as CFLAGS, etc, are fine.
But other things I think should be optional. Otherwise, people tend to get
carried away defining extra things that "must" be supported.