[csw-maintainers] Packages age statistics : May '09

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Mon Jun 1 22:50:25 CEST 2009

Hi William,

William Bonnet wrote:
> Here is the June update of package age statistics for the current source.
>
> The third column show the delta between this month and previous month,
> the last one the cumulated delta over the year. As you can notice
> packages total from years 2003 to 2008 decreased,  which is good (they
> have been updated). Delta of packages in may is +105, which is very
> good. This following statistics show that 76 packages have been update
> over the last month, and 29 new packages added.
>
> Thanks to you all.
>
> Year    Total      Delta      Year
> 1997      1          0          0
> 1998      1          0          0
> 2001      3          0          0
> 2002      4          0          0
> 2003     23          0         -3
> 2004     98          0         -9
> 2005    162        -11        -17
> 2006    177         -4        -27
> 2007    147        -26        -52
> 2008    304        -35       -173
> 2009    508       +105       +530

would you mind elaborating on these statistics a bit more? Right now i
don't know whether i am putting them together correctly.

- What exactly are the figures in the Total column? Currently available
packages released in that year? So we would still have one package each
from back in 1997 and 1998?

So taking for example the "Delta of packages in may is +105". Does it
mean, we released 105 packages in May (either updated or new) that
haven't been available in a 2009 revision before (thus contributing to
the Total 2009 figure)? This would be quite neat. And +530 would be 530
updated/released packages in 2009? Why would it differ from the Total
number of 508 then?

Getting back to another year, taking 2008 for example. Do we have 304
packages in the catalog which are from 2008? Have we updated/dropped 35
of them last month and 173 over the course of this year?

Sebastian