[csw-maintainers] [csw-buildfarm] findutils and its database on the farm

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Tue Jun 2 11:05:22 CEST 2009

Hi Chris,

Chris Reece wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2009 9:12 am, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>
>> Chris: As you already did findutils with glocate, it would be
>> really cool if you could also package up slocate <http://slocate.trakker.ca/>
>> as more secure alternative.
>
> I looked over the GAR documentation at the weekend and an hour or so later I
> was none the wiser.

thanks for your effort.

Could you tell us, what exactly you were missing about the documentation
so that we can improve on it? Any feedback appreciated (off-list is also
fine if you prefer to).

Dago has just recently written some updated information on how to set up
the basic compilation / GAR environment [1,2] and how to set up build
descriptions for simple packages [3]. Just this weekend, I moved away
most of the outdated stuff from the main page, put Dago's documents
first and tried to structure the main page a bit more.

> I checked out a local copy on my one Sun box at home,
> found what looks like an attempt at findutils in there, not mine.  Didn't get
> anywhere with it.
>
> In the interim, there's a traditionally-rolled, up to date package in testing:
>
> /home/testing/findutils-4.4.1,REV=2009.06.01-SunOS5.8-i386-CSW.pkg.gz
> /home/testing/findutils-4.4.1,REV=2009.06.01-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz
>
> There's a postinstall script in there to add a gupdatedb job in the small
> hours.  This is the first time I've packaged in a long time, so I'd be happy
> to receive feedback.  I have no way to test the i386 package, in particular.

Just installed it on an i386 box, looks mostly good to me, just two
minor suggestions:

* Could you please use /var/opt/csw instead of /opt/csw/var
  This has been changed a while ago http://opencsw.org/standards/layout

* The R*PATH contains /opt/csw/lib twice. It doesn't really hurt to have
it in there, just for the sake of standardization.

/opt/csw/bin# dump -Lv glocate | grep R*PATH
[5]     RUNPATH         /opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST:/opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/lib
[6]     RPATH           /opt/csw/lib/$ISALIST:/opt/csw/lib:/opt/csw/lib

> As for slocate, I'm guessing that it's going to require chunks of GNUlib.
> We're missing fts, for instance.

I have submitted a rudimentary build description to GAR this weekend
[1], but as the savannah.gnu.org git repository was down i couldn't get
on with integrating the fts module (has quite a few dependencies to
other GNUlib modules from what i saw).

Do we have someone fluent in autotools and/or integrating GNUlib things?
Are you, Chris? So far i had only integrated minor modules w/o
dependencies, maybe this one needs some more fiddling with autotools.

Sebastian

[1] http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gar/wiki/GarSetup
[2] http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gar/wiki/GarRepository
[3] http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gar/wiki/GarPackagingTutorial