[csw-maintainers] Exim and SMF

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jun 12 19:11:26 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 12:32:08PM -0400, Ross Macduff wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Jun 12 12:20:44 -0400 2009:
> > Ummmm.. out of curiosity.. WHY would that be nice?
> >

> Perhaps it isn't desirable to have it start up right after installing
> it, yet you don't want to go through the steps necessary to register it
> with SMF (I know it's only one step...).  That way, it is only a matter
> of enabling it when it's ready to go.

Ah, got it. So to phrase it more in the general case:

When something requires hand-chosen configuration, it can be nice to be
able to install a buncha things in batch mode, but actually configure it to
start properly, later, when batch install is all done.

However, for simple services, its not so much of an issue.
Either you want it started, or you dont.