[csw-maintainers] versioning /etc

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Jun 15 21:48:16 CEST 2009

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Jun 15 15:39:22 -0400 2009:
> interesting idea.
> still pondering it. but i'll make the comment now, that I think we shouldnt
> abbreviate.
>
> so, "preinstall.d", or simply "preinstall", vs "pre.d"

Ok, as long as it's clear what the directory is for, the name isn't
important.  Since it's meant for computer consumption, longer names
are fine with me too.

> > (no difference between -i and -u is required, I don't think).
>
> not so sure about that one either.

My argument for the simplification is that there is no underlying
concept in pkg{add,rm} of -i being different from -u.  There wouldn't
be anything inherently wrong with providing more options up front
though.  There is also the wrinkle that a -u can imply -i for other
packages, but maybe that's "just one of those things"...

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.