[csw-maintainers] Adjusting $(DIRPATHS) for sparse zones support with shared /opt

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Jun 16 23:24:24 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 10:31:59PM +0200, Sebastian Kayser wrote:
> Our file layout standards page [1] says that machine-specific files
> should go to /etc/opt/csw, but even i as a maintainer sometimes find it
> difficult to decide whether to place them there or not.

when in doubt, discuss it on the maintainers list.

>  Furthermore IIRC
> there have been discussions on the list about issues with sparse zone
> installations and configuration files beneath /opt.

they should be treated pretty much in the same way as if /opt was NFS-shared
between separate hosts.

Sometimes, it is DESIRABLE to have the configs globally in /opt/csw/etc.

Ideally, a program could be configured to first chec /opt/csw/etc, and then
override with any local configs in /etc/opt/csw

But if not, then it's up to the maintainer to decide.