[csw-maintainers] Adjusting $(DIRPATHS) for sparse zones support with shared /opt

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jun 19 02:47:22 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 07:08:28PM -0500, Mike Watters wrote:
s> > So, if the site admin replaced it, with
> > /opt/csw/etc/someglobal.conf -> /etc/opt/csw/someglobal.conf
>
> I am not sure that is the case. the way you have it linked above...
> if the admin links the version from /opt/csw/etc to /etc/opt/csw
> that link would be true for every host.

yes, i was saying if the site admin decides, "no i want this app configured
locally instead of globally", he still technically has that option,
relatively easily.

Lest anyone misunderstand me, i will reiterate that I am still completely
in favour of the DEFAULT for demons and things, being
"configs go in /etc/opt/csw".

I am just trying to leave open the door, for certain applications to be
allowed to have "global" configs in /opt/csw/etc, if it makese sense to do
so.

Something like xpdf, I think, it makes sense to do so.

You can just NFS-share out /opt/csw everywhere, and it will work correctly.
If on the other hand, it looks for configs in /etc/opt.....
you share out /opt/csw... and then it breaks, until you go and have to
copy in something to /etc/opt/csw on to **Every Single Machine*** you want to
run it on.
Not very large-scale-install friendly.