[csw-maintainers] Adjusting $(DIRPATHS) for sparse zones support with shared /opt

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jun 19 02:52:02 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 08:40:15PM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
> People sharing /opt/csw are going to need to handle configuration
> differently than others with everything local to the machine (where
> local means not nfs shared and if in a zone, a non-sparse zone).
>
> If the config is in /opt/csw/etc and they need it customized per nfs
> client (or zone), they'll be symlinking it to somewhere on the box or
> mounting another directory onto /opt/csw/etc.

There is a missing piece here.
Site that share out /opt/csw, tend to do it for things that are easily
sharable.
things like
 xpdf
 **firefox**

You want firefox to have all its default configs in /etc? Individually?
For every machine?

I dooont think sooo....
You want global configs for a beast like that.

If global configs are then "ok" for something like that, then they should
be allowed in certain other targetted situations also.

> IOW, they're making accommodations in _both_ directions, ignoring the
> sites that only shove a few gnu tools or something onto a share.

btw, I dont think we should ignore "sites that only shove a few gnu tools
onto a share" either.

> Does that make more sense?  I think we mostly agree, we're just not
> seeing eye-to-eye on small semantic points.

I think we're actually disagreeing on a rare-case, but conceptually large
issue. Hopefully, the firefox example, shows the issue better ;-)