[csw-maintainers] Using X11 from Sun against using our own version of X11

William Bonnet william at wbonnet.net
Sun Jun 21 16:33:52 CEST 2009

Hi

During the last weeks there was some discussion about reasons and
advantages of using our own X11 packages against continuing to use Sun's
X11 libs.

The work of packaging our own version was started a few months ago when
work on FF3 started. It pulled a lot of dependencies because of
compilation issues with current libs (either outdated packages, or
incompatible Sun's packages including X11).

Here is some detailed information about the problem we are facing with
using X11 from Sun. This looks like a good reason to start to use now
our own X11 packages.

I have started FF3 compilation on a freshly installed Solaris 9 box
(thanks Dago ;) ), build9st. the conclusion i reached is that i cannot
compile latest xrender on this box using Sun's X11. I encountered
several problems. Here is the list of what i have done.

Start with FF3 compilation
   -> it requires requires a recent cairo

Recompile Cairo
   -> it requires renderdev

Recompile our recent version of xrender
   -> configure fails, x11.pc is missing

   This is a know Solaris 9 know bug
          http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5204312&tstart=0
          http://bugs.opensolaris.org/view_bug.do?bug_id=6571762

          The fix is to create by hand /usr/lib/pkgconfig/x11.pc. I  did
it and resumed compilation

   -> several *proto.pc are missing.

Installation of xproto, kbproto and inputproto from our repository (also
missing in Solaris 9)

Recompile our recent version of xrender

   -> This time configure success

   -> Compilation fails
           "Picture.c", line 29: cannot find include file: <X11/Xregion.h>

I checked for this file and it is not present in Sun's packages (either
Sol 8, 9 or 10 but it seems it is in opensolaris).

This missing include file looks to me like a showstopper. Many recent
software will use this include, and i have no guarantee it is the only
missing file. Thus i can imagine porting effort will be heavy, and it is
surely a good reason to use our own, recent version of (Xorg) X11 libs.

cheers
W.

--
William                  http://www.wbonnet.net