[csw-maintainers] package hooks

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Thu Jun 25 04:46:51 CEST 2009

Hi All,

I thought I'd get the discussion of hooks for the package tools going
by posting a bit of code.  This is completely untested, but is
encapsulates the vision I have of how hooks could be implemented.
[Please excuse my rusty perl.]

The pkgutil patch implements pre/post install/remove hook capabilities
that allow the admin (or other packages) to have code run at various
points during the management of CSW packages.

It does not differentiate between install and upgrade and it
implements 'pre' and 'post' in the batch sense, not the per package
sense.  More granularity could be had by running hooks at each
invocation of pkgadd/pkgrm, but I think that might be overkill.

Thoughts?

Thanks

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.