[csw-maintainers] New package, djbdns, and update package, rl, in testing...

Gary Law glaw at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 5 11:43:38 CET 2009

2009/3/5 Ihsan Dogan <ihsan at opencsw.org>

> Am 4.3.2009 20:54 Uhr, Gary Law schrieb:
>
> > Good grief. I thought I'd found a package that would never need an
> > update -- the last one was in 2001 -- and this happens! OK, suggest we
> > don't release this package until djb releases a new version of djbdns,
> > which appears to be imminent.
>
> I would be really surprised about that. In fact, djb stopped the qmail
> and djbdns development.

He's stated a new release will come out, and will be backed by a new $1000
reward. I'll take him at his word for now. If nothing shows up I'll patch
the 1.05 release we have.

Some of the patches you listed are required for linux only, so not required;
some make dnscache more 'bind like' but less strictly RFC compliant, so
arguably not required. There is one that mimics BIND behaviour for missing
domains that makes the authoritative server more RFC compliant. I'll look to
adding that one, assuming DJB doesn't alter the current behaviour in the new
release.

In general, I'd like to do the minimum amount of patching so as to follow
the principle of least surprise for end users. But this is open to debate.

Gary

--
Gary Law
Email: garylaw at garylaw.net