[csw-maintainers] GCC build question

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sat Mar 7 06:47:17 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 06, 2009 at 11:23:31PM -0600, Mike Watters wrote:

> I have gcc 4.3.3 building successfully on solaris 8 both v8/v9 arch.
> I have i386 and amd64 building successfully on solaris 10 x86, and i386 building on solaris 8.
>
> is there any way to merge the solaris 10 and solaris 8 (intel) packages into a single package?
>
> amd64 arch is not supported on solaris 8 x86.
>
> I have no problem leaving them as a separate package

well, that depends on gcc.

from what I know of gcc, i would THINK it should be possible.
there used to be separate subdirs that it would use, associated with
 [arch-osrev]
type combinations. so multiple of them should theoretically be able to
co-exist.
the tricky bit would be in getting the front end "gcc" program to do the
right thing.

Possibly just have the front end(s) managed via isaexec.
That way, the amd64 capable front end, would only be kicked off when run on
an amd64 machine.

Then the only tricky bit would be in making sure that the 32 bit front
end, worked equally well for sol8(9) and sol10.

It's a lot of work. but it potentially is of great benefit, to folks who
share /opt/csw out from a common NFS server, to multiple revs of solaris.

and if you document it nicely.... it would be of benefit to people
"out there" in similar situations who need to do the same thing, but in an
institutionally mandated situation.