[csw-maintainers] /testing lzop compression utility

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Sun Mar 8 10:46:03 CET 2009

This is a very fast compression utility. It compresses about as much
as old compress (.Z) and it's almost exactly like gzip to use but it's
much faster than the usual tools. See my (very unscientific)
comparison below:

File size: 56 MB (a tar file with a mix of text and binary files)

Method, size, compress time/decompress time
Copy, 56 MB, 1s
Compress, 25 MB,2.5/1.5s
Gzip, 19 MB, 6/1.5s
Zip, 19 MB, 5.5/1.5s
lzop, 25 MB, 1/1s

As you can see, it compresses basically as fast as I can copy the
file. It doesn't compress as well as gzip/zip but it's much faster.
You can also tune the compression ratio without it affecting the
decompress times.

Test files at http://mirror.opencsw.org/testing.html:

http://mirror.opencsw.org/testing/lzop-1.02rc1,REV=2009.03.08-SunOS5.8-i386-CSW.pkg.gz
http://mirror.opencsw.org/testing/lzop-1.02rc1,REV=2009.03.08-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz