[csw-maintainers] [csw-users] cswproto not found

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Mar 12 17:54:34 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:04:36AM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Mar 12 09:17:19 -0400 2009:
> > that's really sad. shades of creeping linuxism!
> > (always use the latestlatest!!)
> >
> > how about just not using the newer 'features', and sticking to nice older
> > non-changing standard features??
>
> Two points on this:
>
> 1. We should dogfood as much csw stuff as we can.  That means that we
>    have abspath available.

Errr... we have eclipse available. does that mean we should use eclipse to
write all csw software? :-}
I think not.

> ...and for the record, much of my attraction to CSW in the first place
> was to get modern versions of things I take for granted on a Linux
> box.  It's not about 'oooh shiny,' it's about hey, I've had feature X
> on Linux boxes for several years now (eg: not latest latest),
> I'm kind of grumpy without it.

Making the feature available to others, does not mean we have to use it
ourselves.

For another example: we provide gcc4.
That doesnt mean that any C code we might happen to write and publish,
should be splattered with gcc4-only GNUisms.