[csw-maintainers] [csw-users] cswproto not found

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Mar 12 18:01:44 CET 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 12.03.2009 um 17:39 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 02:50:29PM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
>>> how about just not using the newer 'features', and sticking to nice
>>> older
>>> non-changing standard features??
>>
>> Ok then, how do I simulate $(abspath ...) in 3.80?
>
> erm...
>
> `/bin/pwd`
> ?

That gives me the current directory. $(abspath ...) returns
the absolute paths of all arguments if they exist. You could
mimic this with a function, but why? gmake 3.81 is from 2006,
3.80 from 2002.

> works in gmake, make, CYZmake....

Essentially, multi-line defines mandate gmake, which is
used in every package manifest, so you must use gmake
anyway. There is IMHO no point in not using features
available in three years old software just because
"the feature is new". I, as GAR maintainer, will not
make an effort to support old gmake versions, as I
barely have time to make the features already in
there 100% usable (like the currently broken 'makepatch').