[csw-maintainers] License for makefiles and other packages component

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 16 21:55:43 CET 2009

Hi,

Am 16.03.2009 um 20:15 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 08:02:12PM +0100, William Bonnet wrote:
>>
>> IMHO we should choose a license for the materials we deliver.
>>
>> Any thoughts ?
>>

> well, seems appropriate that either you(since you bring it up!) or
> "the Secretary" should summarize what the consensus was on a proposed
> license for us, as first order of business.

Well, I can't remember that we really had a consensus on this
(or even talked about it more than "we must decide on a license").

Funny thing you bring this up now as Maciej asked this same question
some days ago:

Am 11.03.2009 um 08:47 schrieb Maciej Bliziński:
> On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:03 PM, Dagobert Michelsen
> <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Am 10.03.2009 um 22:20 schrieb Maciej Bliziński:
>>> What is the license of GAR build files? Let's say I contribute a GAR
>>> build, which is essentially a bit of code. What license applies to
>>> this code? Where is the license specified? Should GAR Makefiles
>>> contain some form of a copyright note?
>>>

>> As mGAR was derived from GAR which was derived from GARNOME which
>> was released under GPL I always thought everything in the repository
>> was also under GPL, but I can't find a license anywhere.

I can't find a license in
   <http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/garnome/2.24/garnome-2.24.0.tar.bz2

But I have this here:
   <http://directory.fsf.org/project/Garnome/>
Not authoritative, but a good starting point: GPLv2

I would consider the build descriptions in the repository also
under GPLv2 as derived license.

> Could a header be used in each Makefile? Something along the lines of:
>
> http://devmanual.gentoo.org/ebuild-writing/file-format/index.html#ebuild-header
>
>> I guess we should add a central note about the license.
>
> Or even two notes, one applying to mGAR itself (probably placed in
> [1]), and one applying to the builds.
>
> [1] https://gar.svn.sf.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/gar/v2/

I like the style from Maciejs' link. Thoughts?