[csw-maintainers] License for makefiles and other packages component

Joerg Schilling Joerg.Schilling at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Mar 16 22:48:55 CET 2009

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

> > The makefiles in question are not part of "the work" but only part
> > of "the
> > complete source" (which is more than "the work"). For any part that
> > is beyond
> > "the work", there is no license requirement in the GPL.
>
> About the "Core GAR" there is no doubt: It was released under GPLv2
> and I'm comfortable with sticking my mGAR v2 stuff under it.
>
> Personally, I like the idea of having all the stuff under the same
> license
> if possible.

As there is more than one license in the world, you cannot have everything
under the same license. Also please note that GPLv3 and GPLv3 are incompatibile
to each other.

If you like to mention a license for the makefiles, it is rather important
to make sure that the license used for the files alloes to redistribute, to
change and to redistribute changed files.

Jörg