[csw-maintainers] GAR sanity check for a double variable assignment in build descriptions

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Wed Mar 18 23:39:44 CET 2009

Excerpts from Sebastian Kayser's message of Wed Mar 18 17:43:40 -0400 2009:
> Mhh, what about a perl/*sh script along the lines of checkpkg that reads
> the build Makefile, searches all the = assignments and bails out or
> warns when hitting an assignment with a LHS that had been seen before?
>
> This script could be invoked as part of the GAR build process.

That's pretty heavy weight for this and would still be error prone
(eg: what if you wrap it in and if statement for some bizarre
reason).  It would be nice if gmake had a --warn-redefined-variables
option (it already has a --warn-undefined-variables)...I suspect it
doesn't as it could get quite noisy, especially with something like
GAR that may redefine things already.

Thanks

GPG Key Id: 8E89F6D2; Key Server: pgp.mit.edu
Contact me to arrange for a CAcert assurance meeting.