[csw-maintainers] gcc4

Mike Watters mwatters at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 23 03:27:30 CET 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 06:15:04PM -0500, Mike Watters wrote:
>> I ran into a very annoying problem...
>> it seems that "some" of the linked libraries are named differently between sol8 and 10.
>>
>> for example,
>> on i386-pc-solaris2.10
>> 	libstdc++.so.6.0.10:
>>         libm.so.2 =>     /lib/libm.so.2
>>
>> on i386-pc-solaris2.8
>> libstdc++.so.6.0.10:
>>         libm.so.2 =>     (file not found)
>> /lib/libm.so.2 does not exist on solaris 8,  it is libm.so.1
>>

> in "the old days", gcc tended to use actual subdirectories named like
> "i386-pc-solaris2.10".
>
> can you not force it to do that too?
>
> OH! Alternatively...  I believe it is possible to compile a stub library,
> as an "AUXILIARY FILTER"(I think), that will redirect-link to the "TRUE"
> library, based on $OSREV.
>
> Perhaps you can do that?
>
> ie:
>  lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10 == filter
>  lib/SunOS5.8/libstdc++.so.6.0.10
>  lib/SunOS5.9/libstdc++.so.6.0.10 (possibly symlinked to 5.8 version?)
>  lib/SunOS5.10/libstdc++.so.6.0.10
>  lib/SunOS5.11/libstdc++.so.6.0.10 (symlinked to 5.10 version?)
>

> FYI: we use(d) a filter lib for our mesagl libs, if i recall correctly.
> libGL, was a filter lib,
> that would link against sun's hardware accelerated libGL if present, but
> otherwise, loaded in a software-only based libGL.

for the most part, the libraries are in their own subdir,  the issue is they link against the sun libraries that only
exist on one side or the other...
Technically the only thing that is really different is the soft link name though I haven't got through them all yet.

I will look at the a fore mentioned packages and see if I can get everything to work harmoniously.

- --
Thanks,
Mike

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex,
and more violent.  It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage --
to move in the opposite direction."

* Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955
    US German-born Theoretical Physicist