[csw-maintainers] Package incompatibility, any suggestions?

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 24 14:12:55 CET 2009

On 24/03/09, 11:55:41, "Roger Håkansson" <hson at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
[csw-maintainers] Package incompatibility, any suggestions?:

> I started to update libnet but found a problem...
> The API changed a lot between version 1.0.x and 1.1.x which requires a
> rewrite of the code if you use libnet.
> Since there are a number of packages which use libnet I took a look at
> their upstream versions and there are a few which support libnet 1.1,
> but also a lot which don't.

Won't the SONAME handle this?

$ dump -Lv /opt/csw/lib/libnet.so | grep -c SONAME
0

Sadly not yet.  Lib needs versioned SONAME set.

Others have packed both the old and new libs in the new package and let
SONAME do its stuff.

People wanting to continue building to the old API can install the old
package.

James.