[csw-maintainers] [csw-buildfarm] build8x problems

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 27 11:07:02 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> A colleague tested Solaris 8 x86 on VirtualBox and couldn't get
> it to run stable for an extended time. The tests were done on
> the latest VirtualBox.

Right, I didn't run Solaris 8 on it.

> If this were an option we would immediately switch Solaris 8 x86
> to VirtualBox on Solaris 10 x86.

Any other options? I looked around and found information about branded
zones, allowing to run... well, why type when I can just copy-paste:

"""A Solaris 8 branded zone (solaris8) is a complete runtime
environment for Solaris 8 applications on SPARC machines running the
Solaris 10 8/07 Operating System or later. The brand supports the
execution of 32-bit and 64-bit Solaris 8 applications.

solaris8 branded zones are based on the whole root zone model. Each
zone's file system contains a complete copy of the software that
comprises the operating system. However, solaris8 zones are different
from native whole root zones in that central patching is not
applied."""

http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/820-2914/gfjbk?a=view

I have no idea whether it's feasible.