[csw-maintainers] [csw-buildfarm] build8x problems

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Mar 27 14:25:28 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 11:23:48AM +0100, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> The important word here is "SPARC" :-( You have solaris8 and solaris9
> brands on Sparc (in fact, build8s and build9s are branded zones on
> the same machine as build10s is a native zone), and lx-(Linux-)brands
> on x86. That means no Linux on Sparc and no Solaris 8/9 on x86.

o fer goodness sake.. that's really annoying!

for the record though... a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, i DID
get solaris 8 successfully running on vmware, at least enough to run the
installer. It was the only way i could install solaris on that particular
hardware since there was no solaris-recognizable cdrom drive :)
(which means that at minimum, it recogized the disks properly)
But to do it, you would have to degrade the disks down to a
vmware emulated "PIO mode", I think. performance would be horrible,
comparatively speaking.

looking forwar to the LX50.