[csw-maintainers] On-line project resources

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 27 20:33:05 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:22 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Is there anything else I missed?
>
> Yes: http://wiki.opencsw.org
>
> Peter set it up when we had no Wiki and the OpenCSW association hadn't been
> founded.

It's a very nicely done wiki, especially the content. Will this
content be integrated with the new website? I'm not sure if I've seen
this wiki before, there isn't much links to it. I mean, it's not
advertised proportionally to the quality of its content.

>> Counting by role:
>>
>> wikis: 3
>> issue tracking systems: 3
>> code repositories: 2
>> documentation for developers: 3
>>

>> There seems to be some duplication, especially as far as documentation
>> for developers is concerned. Are there any plans to consolidate it?
>
> Plans, yes. IMHO it would be a good idea to bundle all developer
> resources on the SourceForge "gar" project with SVN as repository
> and Trac as Wiki. Feedback welcome.

Yes, trac also has nice issue tracking system, much nicer than the
SourceForge built-in one.

Creating new stuff is easier than getting rid of the old stuff.
However, having old stuff around is not good in a sense that it causes
confusion in users, who don't know what to look at, which bit is
actually up to date, and what is the purpose of each component.

Basically, we need the following components:

- the main project website
  - news + RSS feeds
  - static pages with usage instructions
  - general project information
- a developer hub
  - source code repository (-ies)
    - for the buillds
    - for other code (buildfarm tools, etc.)
  - a developer wiki
  - source code browser
- issue tracking system (-s)
  - for builds
  - for other things (maybe not necessarily a separate one?)

Is the above list complete/correct? What would you add or remove? What
solutions would you choose for different components?