[csw-maintainers] On-line project resources

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Sun Mar 29 16:09:24 CEST 2009

On Sun, Mar 29, 2009 at 10:30:00AM +0000, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> > I care about "common feel",
>
> It's reasonable enough. Of course, it requires work with customizing
> existing templates of programs such as Mediawiki, Trac, etc. How would
> you define this common feel? I'm guessing it would be a logo, or
> "OpenCSW" written in some specific font, and palette, a small set of
> colors. What would the font be, and what would the colors be? (I know
> I can go and look at the existing website, but the existing website
> won't tell me what _you_ think is important about the common feel.)

I do agree that a common logo, plus fonts and colors, would be good.
I dont feel that I should pick which colors and fonts it uses myself,
though. I leave that up to other people. As I said, I'm not a web designer :)

I also think there is some benefit in being flexible. For example, I think
that the current wiki "left column nav" is appropriate for the
wiki. In contrast, I do think that the top bar nav is appropriate for the
main site.

This is because the wiki is potentially more expansive in different types of
information, whereas www.opencsw.org has more of a narrow focus.
I see it as more of a top-level "static portal", if you will.

At the same time, they could still be more unified.

> A'propos linking between different project sites, there's one thing
> which can be fairly easily done and would be an advantage. Here's the
> idea: every site, which means the main website, every wiki, every bug
> tracking system, etc., would have, on its local 'home' page, a clearly
> visible list of links. This set of links would constitute 'a standard'
> for OpenCSW sites. An example list could look like this:
>
> OpenCSW Home | Package issue tracking | Project wiki | Developers wiki
> | mGAR | SourceForge project | Trac
>
> The rule would be that if you click any of these links, you'll see the
> same list again.

Yes, I like that sort of idea. For www.opencsw.org, that would be the top
nav. For the wiki, that could be one section of the left nav.

Although I think the list needs to be shorter.
Perhaps

CSW Home | Bugs | Wiki | Packages | Maintainer Resources

"user guide" would be migrated under "wiki".
"mirrors" would be migrated under "Packages"
"standards" would be migrated somewhere under Maintainer Resources.