[csw-maintainers] gar package howto

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 31 20:08:11 CEST 2009

Hi Darin,

Darin Perusich wrote:
> Is there a howto for creating a package in GAR? I've been looking
> through, flailing around is more appropriate, the various documentation
> pages trying to figure this out and I'm getting nowhere.

the documentation is in flux right now and it seems we rather have too
much documentation ;). For now i have just adjusted the first part of
the "GAR Tutorial" [1] (up to "Building 10 easy ...") to match the
current GAR repository structure. Once i have completely overhauled it,
it will be moved to the Trac Wiki.

Easiest thing is to just check out a package that can be built with
GAR, give it a "gmake package", and then have a look at some other
Makefiles (build descriptions) to see how people use GAR. It is not
as intimidating as it might look. You can cross-check with the GAR
Variable Reference [2] to see what specific variables do.

If you haven't done so, request access to the buildfarm [3] so that
you don't have to setup the build environment yourself. I can give
you a Q&A session on IRC later, if you would like to.

Sebastian

[1] http://apps.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/gar/index.php?title=GAR_Tutorial
[2] http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/gar/wiki/GAR%20Variable%20Reference
[3] http://opencsw.org/standards/build_farm