[csw-maintainers] OpenCSW Summer Camp

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed May 13 21:36:40 CEST 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 13.05.2009 um 18:59 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 07:13:53PM +0200, Peter Bonivart wrote:
>> Well, to identify which packages should go into which tier we could
>> use another suggested topic of mine - download stats.
>
> Those stats might be skewed in terms of which packages get frequently
> updated, not neccessarily in terms of importance.

If you take statistics per-file instead of per-package you would
get proper statistics.

Nonetheless I would also like to see the download values. Sunfreeware
has a policy that all mirrors must provide download statistics
upstream for this reason.

> And then there is a relative definition of "importance".
> Does it mean "popular", or does it mean "critical to other programs"?
> Or some combination of both?
>
> As far as "importance" goes, I think a fairly basic and concrete
> measure
> would be, the number of dependants that a package has.
> eg: gtk2 has around 100. Thus, it is incontrovertibly an
> "important package" ;-)

Sure. That's why William and I repackaged it. If now someone would
test it that would be even better ;-)