[csw-maintainers] wireshark 1.0.7 in testing

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Wed May 20 10:36:39 CEST 2009

Hi Nicolai,

Am 20.05.2009 um 10:23 schrieb Nicolai Schwindt:
> [...]
>>>
>>> Sounds reasonable. You can describe additional package use on the
>>> wiki at <http://wiki.opencsw.org/packages>
>>
>> Sure, wikis are a nice thing. Even nicer is to provide a README.CSW
>> in
>> the documentation directory where you explain the idiosyncrasies of
>> your
>> package.
>
> Well, my question did not target the documentation - this is
> documented in
> wireshark
> ( and if that gets not read  - why should I believe mine is being
> read ?)

Because some users may want to install suid while other won't.

> I was more concerened about the security implications when
> installing it
> setuid.

Yes. That's what I meant: install without SUID and put a note in
README.CSW like

     If you want to allow regular users to snoop promiscous, please
issue
       chmod u+s /opt/csw/bin/wireshark

Because it is that important you may also want to echo this during
postinstall.