[csw-maintainers] Packages that require either package A or package B

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu May 21 18:58:27 CEST 2009

Hi,

Am 21.05.2009 um 18:08 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 09:16:34PM -0400, Ben Walton wrote:
>>  I suspect that this
>> evolution will need to happen anyway in the face of IPS, which won't
>>  limit itself to the current rigid
>> dependency system.
>
> funnily enough, there was some semi-related discussion on the ips
> dev list.
> And they're running into problems, because they decided to be "more
> flexible". So I dont think that just copying what IPS does, is a good
> general strategic move for us.

Additionally, adding more complexity to System V packaging will bind
valuable resources and would make packaging quite more complex.
Apart from that the current mechanism has served us well over the
past 10+ years and will fade away as the new packaging system is
already there (IPS). I would favor to live with the faults and
handle dependencies as we have always handled them. In addition,
I propose to carefully start working on real IPS packaging
instead of putting extra work/complexity in System V packaging.
A real IPS backend for GAR with all bells and whistels for
dual-personality building of packages is surely a Good Thing.