[csw-maintainers] Packages that require either package A or package B'

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu May 21 22:30:09 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 01:23:49PM -0700, Philip Brown wrote:
> I doubt that debian does it any better.
> For example, lets say that you were installing... [foo], which depended on
>  "mysql|postgres", and you had BOTH installed.
>
> You chose to install it using mysql.
> Then later, you choose to remove mysql, but postgres is still there.
>
> does apt-get/aptitude somehow register that you chose mysql specifically
> for package [foo],
> and complains about the removal?
> I am scheptical about this.

btw; we could do this sort of check for ourselves, via the suggested
"dbwrapper" set of tools.
If we agree that packages that use the dbwrapper tools, also have to
'register' which database they end up using, then that database can
check the registration, and warn about programs using it, at pkgrm time.