[csw-maintainers] Berkeley DB: Keep old versions or concentrate on 4.7?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu May 28 15:06:39 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 12:00:42AM +0200, Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 27.05.2009 um 23:55 schrieb Mike Watters:
>> I say just build 4.7 but keep libdb4-4 as deprecated libs in 4.7.
>> rename the package to berkeleydb and have core,runtime and devel
>
> As CSWbdb would be a new package there is no point in putting
> in old libraries in there as the existing packages depend on
> CSWbdb44. I guess we must recompile the dependent packages to
> make use of the new version.

Note: while there would be no point copying over binary libs from the older
packages... it would be important to enable compiling "older libs" in the
configuration for the compile for bdb47.

I think (but could be wrong) that the berkeleydb config stuf has options
for building older versions of libs.
In which case, i guess we would want to then enable them for "CSWbdb", and
conflict with the older packages, and replace those with empty packages or
something. Hmm... upgrade path for users might be tricky...