[csw-maintainers] RFD: X11 linkage problem strategy

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Nov 9 18:30:00 CET 2009

On Mon, Nov 9, 2009 at 8:09 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

>> Pretty much anything of ours that touches gnome libs... or anything of
>> ours that is touched BY something that touches gnome libs... will need
>> to be relinked now, I think :-(
>
> How about distribution two sets of libraries for intermediate-libraries
> that may be linked against either x11 library like giflib? One like
>  CSWcsw11_libgif
> bound against CSW X11 and located in /opt/csw/X11/lib, and
>  CSWlibgif
> bound against Sun X11 as before. This would allow a clean separation
> between the two forms of libs.

oh yikes. you're talking about distributing two libgifs, two libjpegs, etc?
Sounds like it ma be a headache, and possibly more headache than it is worth.

I think it would be best if you did some research, and laid out just
how many "intermediate libraries" we are talking about, and just how
many packages would USE these retro-compiled packages.

Depending on the number of affected packages, other options for
affected packages might be:

a) use solaris-shipped libs entirely (arent they available for sol8?)
b) use static compiled versions of small libs, if number of affected
packages is only a handful.

OR, possibly still have the old way. but there is an issue of which
version of libgif "belongs" in /opt/csw/lib.

Probably the normal one I suppose, if we mandate that anything using
/opt/csw/X11/lib must have that FIRST in its RPATH.