[csw-maintainers] Anyone wants to update wxWidgets?

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Fri Nov 13 19:09:11 CET 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 5:27 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> One more problem: It doesn't compile it on build8s, while it does on
> my local machine at work. Here's what happens on build8s:
>
> checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... no
> (...)

Dago fixed this -- thanks!

There's one more problem with this library.  The existing Solaris 8
wxwidgets is compiled with unicode support.  If it was compiled with
Unicode on Solaris, there has to be a way of doing that, I just don't
know what it is.  I haven't been able to compile unicode-enabled
version on Solaris 8 due to missing wide characters function. I don't
know how it was compiled on Solaris 8, but it sure required some
patching of the code, or copying files from Solaris 9, or something
similar.

The current build file disables unicode on Solaris 8:

# Unicode-enabled build on Solaris 8 fails with:
# "./src/common/wxchar.cpp", line 1693: Error: The function "vswscanf" must have
# a prototype.
# Building Unicode support for Solaris 9 and 10 only.
CONFIGURE_ARGS_5.8  = --disable-unicode
CONFIGURE_ARGS_5.9  = --enable-unicode
CONFIGURE_ARGS_5.10 = --enable-unicode

To refresh the state on this, there is gnulib, which provides this
function, but on their website they're saying:
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/vswscanf.html

"""Portability problems not fixed by Gnulib:

    * This function is missing on some platforms: NetBSD 3.0, OpenBSD
3.8, AIX 5.1, HP-UX 11, IRIX 6.5, OSF/1 5.1, Solaris 8, Cygwin 1.5.x,
Interix 3.5, BeOS. """

However, Dago thinks that GNUlib can fix the problem.  I don't have a
lot of spare cycles right now, so if anyone wants to pick up the work,
everything is in the repository.