[csw-maintainers] Building postgresql-8.4.1

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Nov 17 15:58:34 CET 2009

I'm looking at building postgresql-8.4.1.  I used this db engine
before a lot and I'd like to have its recent version.

The main problem with compilation is this:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-11/msg00687.php

In short, the old includes from /opt/csw/postgresql/include are
breaking the build.  How would you fix it?  I guess that uninstalling
the devel postgresql package would help, but it's not the proper
solution.  It looks like a general problem: suppose there are old,
incompatible header files in the include/ directory.  The application
needs include its foo.h, which is present in both /opt/csw/include/
and its source directory.  The code using the header file just says:

#include "foo.h"

The foo.h file is also in, say ../../../src/include. The compiler
invocation looks like this:

/opt/studio/SOS11/SUNWspro/bin/cc -Xa -xO3 -xarch=v8
-I/opt/csw/include -I../../../src/include -I/opt/csw/include   -c -o
nodeGroup.o nodeGroup.c

What should it look like to compile correctly, assuming that the
/opt/csw/include/foo.h files is incompatible with the software being
built?