[csw-maintainers] Change python modules catalog names to have a py_ prefix (instead of just py)?

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Nov 17 20:45:24 CET 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 7:14 PM, James Lee <james at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On 17/11/09, 17:17:30, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
> Re: [csw-maintainers] Change python modules catalog names to have a py_
> prefix (instead of just py)?:

>> > It's completely achievable and always has been.  People have
>> > simply chosen not to.  Don't put restricted characters in the
>> > names, e.g. no '-' and '_'.
>
>> Well, some packages do use "-" in the package name.
>
> Only through choice, it's not the technology.
>

>> All Maciej
>> is aiming at is consistency. If we the mapping is "use _ on
>> catalog names under condition x" and "package names are
>> catalog name with '_' removed" that would ok also.
>
> A one way transform so I'd say not "between".  You could exchange
> the '_' for '-' but it wouldn't help me to cut and paste the names.

I like the idea of s/_/-/g when going from catalog names to pkgnames.
Thissentenceismymainargumentforusingdashesitsjusthardtoread.  I would
really like to have a blessed word separator for the pkgnames.  Sun
packages uses cases, the have something like SUNWonewordSECONDWORD.  I
perceive it as ugly.

Speaking of consistency... we can make the choice of being consistent
with the existing packages[1] and not introduce dashes.  Or we can use
dashes for new packages, leaving the current ones alone, to be
possibly changed later, if we decide it's important.

The consistency I'm definitely for is that we achieve consensus, it
gets documented, and we follow it.

[1] Currently, there are 48 pkgnames using dashes, out of the total 2171.