[csw-maintainers] gnulinks

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Nov 20 20:12:02 CET 2009

On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Fri Nov 20 12:04:48 -0500 2009:
>
>> maybe because that's a LOT of packages, and may be not everyone WANTS
>> to have all those packages automagically pulled in?
>
> I agree with this, in principle.  In practice though, the decision to
> not depends on everything pointed is suboptimal.  Personally, I'm
> leaning toward the 'provide your own gnulinks' approach.
>
> If coreutils can be built (and pass tests), I'll be add links
> appropriately in that package...to get the ball rolling.

coreutils is kinda a sore spot. It should be an easy build, in and of itself.
However, no-one so far who has mentioned it, has been willing to do
the work to "nicely" transition us to it.

The issue is that coreutils is a conglomerate of previously separate
utils. So if you're going to replace them, you need to handle the
dependancies from packages that depend on those.

(Another issue, is that coreutils is a lot bigger, and it's kinda
annoying to download the whole bloatware lot, if you only want one of
the original pieces of it. But that's just a side issue thats kinda
optional; the main issue is handling the transition smoothly)