[csw-maintainers] nspr in testing/

William Bonnet wbonnet at opencsw.org
Sat Nov 21 15:26:51 CET 2009

Hi

> I've seen that William has done some work on the nspr library
> (netscape portable runtime).  I know that Firefox needs it, so I'm not
> sure how is William currently compiling Firefox.  I thought it would
> be good to have nspr as a separate library, in case someone wants to
> build a package with nspr as a dependency, such as Evolution,
> xulrunner, NSS (Mozilla's Network Security Services library), etc.

I do agree. I was planning to do it one day, but it is deep in my too
long todo list ;)

Thanks for working on this.  Actually it is need for evolution which
depends on firefox only for this runtime.

> I did some changes to the Makefile which was in the repository.  I
> took out the --with-dist-prefix and --with-dist-bindir options.  I
> assumed that William worked with only Firefox in mind, I want to have
> a regular system library.

It was a very first version. You can modify everything you need. I
stopped working on this some month ago. It seems to me that this runtime
will be useful for application like evolution xulrunner, etc. but i am
not sure i'll be able to use it for FF, SM or TB. Versions are
different, and they need the associated NSPR which is currently provided
with the package.

For others application it's really cool :)

cheers
W.

--
William Bonnet           http://www.wbonnet.net