[csw-maintainers] Handling of devel package splits

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Thu Oct 1 11:53:32 CEST 2009

On 01/10/09, 10:35:41, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote regarding
Re: [csw-maintainers] Handling of devel package splits:

> Am 01.10.2009 um 09:23 schrieb Dagobert Michelsen:
> > I am currently packaging up a load of X11 packages. Some of them
> > have a load of development-stuff (headers, etc.) in them, some
> > only a few header files. I tend to split off the development stuff
> > for all of them in _devel-packages for consistency, but as we don't
> > have an explicit policy on this I would like to open up a small
> > discussion if you would consider it feasible to split even for
> > a few files for consistency. The alternative would be to split
> > on a "by case" basis where some packages with many header files
> > would have a devel package and some would include them in the
> > base package.
> >
> > After a brief discussion I would like to open a poll for this.

> As we already had some discussion on IRC, here is the poll:
>    <http://doodle.com/2e8eakee997gtmmv>

You are missing an option.

If foo is a distribution, I install foo and I get CSWfoo with all
foo's files.  How that is split doesn't matter, eg, comprises an
rt sub package, is split into arch neutral and binary.

Package depends can bring in the rt only but I think that installing
a product by name should install that product, a 1:1 correspondence
between upstream product and top level package with the same name.

Expanding this packages are of 2 types: those one installs and those
installed automatically because they are required by others.  Where
we install by choice the naming matters.  When it's a installed as
depend sub division is right.  X11 packages are typical of things
users don't explicitly install.

James.