[csw-maintainers] pkgutil version updates on the mirror roots? Make pkgutil package ARCH=all?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Oct 2 18:55:07 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:26 AM, James Lee <james at opencsw.org> wrote:

> 2. The form the root pkg tools should take.
>
> I suggest it need not be the same as the actual package and can be a
> bootstrap version.  To force its own update it could use versioning
> and datestamp or with an internal flag in the code.  The bootstrap
> package can contain two archs of static wget, the actual package can
> use depends.  There are other options.

Indeed. And one of the options could be as follows:

Instead duplicating our normal "packages" at the root level, have an
actual INSTALLER proggie for CSW.
That proggie could be a pkg, or one of those funky sh-wrapper things.
If it's not a normal package,it then is free from any and all of our
"standards", and can do whatever it likes.

Such an installer could help a user select a pkg downloading tool,
select a mirror site,and other fun things like that.