[csw-maintainers] GAR Platform builds now open for testing

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Oct 5 16:08:45 CEST 2009

Hi folks,

I have been able to finish up the pbuilds feature in GAR. The
official naming is "GAR Platforms".

The important features are:

- Allows building of Sparc/x86 at the same time
   (Just issue "gmake package" on build8s / build8x)

- Allows fully unattended builds for both Sparc and X86 suitable
   for buildbot use
   (Use "gmake platforms")

- For the brave: build all ISAs for a package in parallel and
   watch the build with multitail.
   Watch out: Ctrl-C doesn't work too good yet during build
   (Activate this with "PARALLELMODULATIONS = 1" in your .garrc)

It lives currently in mgar/gar/v2-pbuild, just link it in to
your project for testing. I have used it for some packages now
and it looks good to me, but I don't use all features of GAR ;-)
So feedback is especially welcome here!

After some positive feedback I would like to make this version
the default for GAR. It will be the basis for the enhanced
release process (tagging of build recipes to tags/ triggering
automated builds which will be automatically installed on
new "experimental" hosts. More on that later.)