[csw-maintainers] questions about GAR, history, and naming

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Oct 6 09:48:10 CEST 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 05.10.2009 um 21:57 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 12:34 PM, Dagobert Michelsen
> <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I think we would be perfectly justified in keeping the opencsw gar
>>> addons, as also at gar.sourceforge.net
>>> Just so long as they are an *optional* addon.
>>
>> The problem is that the enhancements specific to Solaris can't
>> cleanly
>> be ripped out. Basically all I did was adding Solaris-specific stuff.
>> If I take it out you have the original version again.
>>

> well, that's not "opencsw specific". Can you not leave them in, but
> make it so that they only come into play if you run it on solaris?

The decision logic is already quite complex and inserting these switches
would even increase it, making it unreadable for new GAR maintainers.
And what for? If there are people from linux bbc or Garnome who want to
work in a unified development tree I would certainly help in making it.
If you really think the project needs this I won't stop you from doing
work in that area ;-) Just to give you in impression: This separation
would mean a complete restructuring of GAR which will take at least a
week for me to do it. A week I would like to spend better on updating
the farm and deploying automated builds.