[csw-maintainers] Handling of devel package splits

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Oct 6 13:55:05 CEST 2009

Hi James,

Am 05.10.2009 um 11:54 schrieb James Lee:

> On 05/10/09, 10:05:49, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote
> regarding
> Re: [csw-maintainers] Handling of devel package splits:

>>> Yes since you are missing options and no justification is offered.
>>
>> And that missing options would be?
>
> As previously communicated.
>
> The only addition I have it to version runtimes as it means only one
> version is needed at a time for a given depend.
>
> jpeg depends on jpeg7rt
> jpeg7rt - latest runtime
> jpeg62rt - legacy runtime
>
> packages depend on whichever rt version being used.

I don't think this will work. It would mean that you know in advance
which
version is compatible to name it correctly, here you must know that
jpeg62rt
is the compatible version, and without naming it too strict like
jpeg6203b2rt.
At the same time you want the name of the package to be as easy as
possible
which contradicts specific naming in advance.

I have written the rationale for this in the Wiki at
   <http://wiki.opencsw.org/packagesplits>
If there are arguments for/against the split please note them there.
As I
haven't heard of the maintainers who have already voted I guess the
votes
are still valid? If not, please adjust your vote accordingly as I want
have some kind of decision to go ahead:
   <http://doodle.com/2e8eakee997gtmmv>