[csw-maintainers] GAR modulations questions

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Tue Oct 6 18:04:55 CEST 2009

Hi Maciej,

Am 06.10.2009 um 17:55 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
> I have two issues regarding modulations. One is a feature request.
> Suppose I have two extra modulators, foo and bar. If each has two
> values, I end up with four... um... modulations. The name for each
> modulation is foomod-foovar-barmod-barval. If I want to add my own
> merge rules, I need to enter:
>
> MERGE_foomod-fooval1-barmod-barval1 = ...
> MERGE_foomod-fooval1-barmod-barval2 = ...
> MERGE_foomod-fooval2-barmod-barval1 = ...
> MERGE_foomod-fooval2-barmod-barval2 = ...
>
> Suppose I have a merge rule that applies to both values of barmod. I
> would like then to say:
>
> MERGE_foomod-fooval1 = one thing
> MERGE_foomod-fooval2 = some other thing
>
> The desired effect is that "one thing" is included in both barval1 and
> barval2 modulations. Is it doable?

Sure. But I don't see a usecase for this. Usually you take all from
barval1 and only some specific things with renames from barval2.
Additionally, the modulators grow long with the default ISA modulation
and maybe the added version modulator. Some kind of sane defaults
can make this much easier to use.
Can I have a look at your Makefile?

> The second thing, version-modulated distfiles. Can we, instead of
> creating the list and the filtering it, include only the right
> versions? For instance:
>
> DISTFILES_version-$(GARVERSION) = $(GARNAME)-$(GARVERSION).tar.gz
>
> ...and then have DISTFILES being assembled by GAR?

I have already tought of something similar as you your left-hand side
would expand during Makefile parsing. You would need some kind of
definition like
   VDISTFILES = $$(GARNAME)-$$(VERSION).tar.gz
which would then be expanded during evaluation. It would also allow
automatic upstream watches with substituted $$(VERSION) for
UWATCH and easier version modulations.

But before I make more changes to GAR I would like to deploy v2-pbuild
for general use, so please everyone test!