[csw-maintainers] pysvn and the other pysvn

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Oct 20 18:23:30 CEST 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 4:44 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
> Please note : this upgrade is complicated by tthe fact that normally
> on a pkg rename, we declare a conflict with the old name, which is
> then obsolete.
>
> But, since the old name of CSWpysvn will NOT be obsolete, we cannot
> declare a conflict to it.

I've opened a bug with the subversion package about the rename:
http://www.opencsw.org/bugtrack/view.php?id=3973

An idea for the change... from the perspective of the operating
system, it won't be really a rename, there is still going to be a
CSWpysvn package, only with a different content. How about this:

1. Create CSWpythonsvn with the subversion-core Python bindings
2. Update CSWpysvn by putting there files from pysvn.tigris org.
3. Declare a dependency: CSWpysvn is going to depend on CSWpythonsvn
4. Trac, which depends on the subversion-core bindings will still
work, because it's going to get the right files from CSWpythonsvn
(required by CSWpysvn)
5. Trac will be updated to depend on CSWpythonsvn
6. After a month or so, as Phil suggested, the dependency of CSWpysvn
on CSWpythonsvn will be removed.

In other words: CSWtrac --> CSWpysvn --> CSWpythonsvn could be the remedy.

This way, the change can be done relatively smoothly, without the
potential of breaking Trac, and with the possibility to release pysvn
from pysvn.tigris.org relatively quickly.

Thoughts?