[csw-maintainers] testing a release candidate from upstream

Gary Law glaw at opencsw.org
Sun Sep 6 02:18:58 CEST 2009

Hi Daniel

2009/9/5 Daniel Pocock <daniel at opencsw.org>:
> I'd like to test release candidate for 3.1.3 (in other words, the
> monitor-core-3.1 branch from upstream SVN) by building OpenCSW packages on
> each of the build machines.  This way any final issues can be resolved
> before upstream tags the release.

I've recently done this with the puppet 0.25 RC build. As it violates
OpenCSW rules for release I built it, tested it, and made it available
not through OpenCSW (advertised on the puppet dev list). I assumed RC
software violates the ''no betas'' rule. Perhaps it would be OK to
release this just to ''testing'' but I've not seen this done before
and so didn't blaze a trail. Incidentally, this RC trial was very
useful and identified at least one bug that would most likely have
been missed had I not done this, and which is now fixed upstream.

> What is the normal way of doing such a build?  I notice that with my
> existing Makefile for the Ganglia CSW package, it wants to download a
> released ganglia-X.tar.gz

Is the RC available as a downloadable tar.gz? In which case GAR can be
kidded into building it AFAIK. If it's just an SVN checkout you'll
have to make a tar of your own and put it where GAR expects to find it
I think.

Gary

--
Gary Law