[csw-maintainers] Migrating config files from /opt/csw/etc to /etc/opt/csw during package update

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Thu Sep 10 20:41:14 CEST 2009

After considering all the options, I wrote an example
implementation[1] of the one that does symlinks, and used it for the
unixodbc package. Trygvis had objected to putting it into testing, and
then disappeared in a black hole. I pulled the package from testing;
moved it into a subdirectory. Meanwhile, there is more and more
packages that are being held back by this issue, notably, there are
cups and tightvnc. Let's get it sorted out and move forward!

The issue isn't entirely new, one might point out. There are packages
which already migrate their configuration files[2]. The case currently
discussed isn't as simple though, because it's a migration from a
single shared configuration instance into many per-zone configuration
instances.

There is a number of options discussed on the wiki page[3]. I'd like
to ask if people have any other options to offer.

There another case to consider: the case when the configuration files
can't be automatically migrated. Should the preinstall script abort
the installation? (Can it really abort the installation?) Any other
ideas?

At the end of the discussion, I'd be happy if we had a canonical
implementation of the migration; possibly using a common script, put
into cswclassutils.

Please respond to the mailing list, and I'll update the wiki page.

Maciej

[1] https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/unixodbc/trunk/files/CSWunixodbc.postinstall
[2] https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/phpldapadmin/trunk/files/CSWphpldapadmin.preinstall
[3] http://opencsw.wikidot.com/configuration-directory-migration